This course is designed for practicing boiler house operatives or those responsible for managing a boiler house and its operators.
The Boiler Operation Accreditation Scheme (BOAS) provides national accreditation for industrial boiler operators and boiler plant managers. The BG01 guidelines suggest that all competent persons and owners/managers should be trained to the BOAS standard.
Spirax Sarco is a licensed and approved BOAS training provider.
Successful candidates may use the designatory letters "Cert IBO" (Certified Industrial Boiler Operator) or "Dip BOM" (Diploma in Boiler Plant Operation Management).
Delegates taking the Cert IBO and Dip BOM will achieve Dual Award status.
The BOAS syllabus5 comprises learning outcomes in 10 sections as follows:
1. Safety & Legal
2. Fuel Concepts
3. Draught and combustion
5. Energy Efficiency
6. Basic Heat & heat transfer concepts (shell boilers)
7. Feed water & boiler water analysis (shell boilers)
8. Boilers & Auxiliaries (shell boilers)
9. Operation (shell boilers)
10. Control and instrumentation (shell boilers)
THE ASSESSMENT PROCESS
The course includes all elements of the assessment process.
Both Operators and Managers need to complete the following:
1. Completion of mandatory evidence pack (different requirements for Operators and Managers)
2. Completion of series of written examinations1
3. Interview with an assessor to establish the individual’s knowledge and understanding, ability, skills and experience4.
1 All candidates are required to sit examination papers regardless of award.
2 A renewal course is necessary at five yearly intervals
3 Exact examination papers undertaken will vary depending on award.
4 Interview may be conducted on final day of course or on a pre-arranged date via remote platform depending on course choice
5 Syllabus may be subject to change
Boiler house operatives MUST HAVE a minimum of 6 months (100hours) verified practical experience.
Supply of mandatory evidence pack to demonstrate the above (requirements will be supplied) applies to all awards and renewals.
Familiarisation with the BG01 guidelines.
Attendance on Steam Boiler Plant Operation course
Courses start at 9:00am on the first day and finish at approximately 4:30pm on the last day.
Your closest Spirax Sarco is